Burner

Tips On Using New Website

With change there is always a period of time to get adjusted to something new. This post will detail some of how our new website is laid out and show some of what members will be able to get the most use of. 

This area can be found on the top left of the website. It is where you login, set your avatar, sig, birthday, etc. You'll also see notifications, set status and access PMs. You'll also use this area to see your forum content, edit your profile, etc.

Screenshot-2_7_20132_53_31PM_zps7b364c87

The top right of the website is the search bar, it can be used to search forums, users, etc.

Screenshot-2_7_20132_49_18PM_zps32fe2c70

You can change the website's background by clicking on the bucket icon found at the top right of the website and selecting a background scene.

Screenshot-2_10_20131_58_44PM_zpsb70bf4f

At the top right vicinity of the website you'll notice a "View New Content" button that will display all new content, and forum posts you haven't seen yet.

Screenshot-2_7_20132_47_28PM_zpsba756568

Once you're on the "View New Content" page you can further customize the results. It defaults to showing you only new items you have yet to see but can be changed to show whats new in the past 24 hours, week, only items you follow, etc.

Screenshot-2_10_20132_05_05PM_zps360b671

On the main navigation menu, top right, if you hover over the "About Us" link and click on DaDs Members you'll find a dynamically generated page that pulls all active DaDs names out of the database.

Screenshot-2_7_20132_48_36PM_zps7a5bc0f0

You'll notice at the bottom left of the website some interesting information including a more detailed link of users logged in.

d17d95dd-018a-450f-a1a7-a6266b1bc56d_zps

Off to the right of that same bar, bottom right you'll find other interesting site and user statistics.

Screenshot-2_7_20132_48_12PM_zpsb866e35e

On the left of the website you'll see an area that shows NEW threads, or Discussions.

0e5cb558-3cce-49ca-ac1c-da696df97e2a_zps

Below that, you'll see the news replies to threads, there is a difference!

b4236195-ce5c-4ef3-afd0-f7ad06d45566_zps

Move over to the right and you'll see the DaDs calendar where members can organize events...

Screenshot-2_7_20132_51_00PM_zps7335c776

... and RSVP to them too!

Screenshot-2_7_20132_51_19PM_zps16226740

You can also follow the event you're interest in and be notified of anything pertaining to it.

Screenshot-2_10_20132_16_09PM_zps611530a

If you click on "Calendar" you'll see the DaDs calendar listed. You can click to follow the calendar and be notifed anytime there is a new event scheduled.

Screenshot-2_10_20132_16_56PM_zps9bfae8b

The different colored helmets displayed in the forum listing represent if there are posts that are new to you or not. A dull colored helmet depicts no new posts, while a greener helmet depicts something you haven't read yet. Clicking on the helmet will automatically mark all messages as read.

Screenshot-2_7_20135_49_22PM_zps5d76c4dd

While viewing the list of posts in a forum you can click to "preview" a thread.

c41c8053-cde6-4537-b318-e6fe660a76dc_zpse8c38a3d.jpg

Let's say you're reading a joke from Shroud, and you like it. Let him know! Theres a like button on every message.

Screenshot-2_7_20132_49_42PM_zps6ad34d9a

You scrolled to the bottom of a page, and can't be bothered to scroll back up. Click this little button and it will launch you to the top!

93f7682d-c45e-40f9-9e58-9d0c31b3a254_zps

You'll notice the shoutbox has its own page which can be accessed through the main navigation menu up top, and a little number next to it reflects recent activity.

Screenshot-2_7_20134_13_17PM_zps89e1e2fb

Clicking the double windows next to the word Shoutbox will provide you with a popup window.

Screenshot-2_7_20132_18_09PM_zps65f1f18f

You can hide the shoutbox on the front page by clicking this toggle button.

Screenshot-2_7_20132_18_03PM_zps9850f560

I click on the drop down arrow next to my name and, the DaDs army logo covers all of the options.

Have not seen that in any browser I've tried. What browser are you using? What version? And can you update whatever browser you're using (preferably to firefox or chrome) to whatever the latest is?

this happens to me in my gaming pc ie 90.12 browser

and only with the profile window not the alert window or the message window

Interesting, I just fired up my IE9, because I don't use it for anything other than testing. I don't see that happening, it seems to work above the logo. Screenshot to photobucket?

Like I said in another thread.

By the way, to anyone using INTERNET EXPLORER 9, or older. Our current site uses some modern techniques that IE9 has not picked up on yet. Those of you on the new IE10 will see no difference in the website's look. That being said we recommend you view our website in CHROME or FIREFOX browsers. Once IE10 is released for Win7 there should be no further issue for IE browser users.

So, we'll keep looking into it, but for now, a solution is to use one of the other popular browsers until an updated IE10 is available.

Thats what I am running IE9 version 9.12 tried Pillars fix did not work. And yes its only for the drop down arrow. Would that be some kind of overlay i have to check off in ie9 settings?

I'm having no luck pasting anything to the DaDs forums.  I've tried the Control Button approach too.  Is anyone else having this problem.  I really need to be able to paste.   I don't have this problem on any other application or website. Thanks for any suggestions.

If you happen to live southeast of Houston in Clear Lake, you probably already know that NASA is moving the enormous Shuttle Carrier Aircraft from Ellington Field to its permanent home at the Space Center Houston visitor complex. You can't help but know; the move is closing Texas State Highway 3 and NASA Road 1 for several nights this week. The Boeing 747-100, originally built in 1970 and purchased from American Airlines by NASA in 1974, has served America faithfully for four decades of ferry flights, and the big aircraft needs to be hauled across the city (in enormous pieces!) to become a permanent outdoor exhibit.

Engineers from Boeing's Aircraft On Ground team have spent the past month cutting up the Shuttle Carrier Aircraft outdoors at Ellington Field—something that the AOG folks have never before done. The disassembly required a great deal of planning and careful execution, because rather than simply being disassembled for scrap, the plan was to re-assemble the plane after its eight-mile road trip. According to a representative from Boeing, this is the first time a 747 has been broken up outdoors, without help from a hangar, with the intent of piecing it back together again. The team noted that they needed to come up with a way to sever the enormous spar that bears the weight of the aircraft's wings (the "wing box spar," as it's called) so that the wings could be re-hung later.

IDK... pasting into the forum seems to be working for me at this time... 

@Sith  As hq I need to draft something in word doc and then paste it into the forums.  Won't work.   I can't copy a photo bucket link to an image into the forums.  This means I have to ask someone else in Hq to do this work and I don't like not carrying my weight  :(  I've heard others complain about this as well. 

But you can copy and past into other websites?

Have you tried another browser? 

And no problem on the reply, I have been too quiet around here, time to start rattling the DaDs cage again.... especially Sally's cage :P

What browser are you using, IE? What version? Have you tried to see what happens if you use Chrome, Firefox, Safari, etc...

Personally I use Chrome on all of my machines and have never had an issue.

Test pasting from word:

This is a test pasting into post area from Word 2007… Test Test Test!!!???^^^ 

Joe, I just logged into the back-end (been a while) and checked your profile.  There is no forum restrictions or anything in your profile.  You are under the correct groups HQ, DaDs Gold Tags-Vet, etc., so I do not think its anything with your permissions etc.