Sign in to follow this  
Ricky

Need advice to new PC

So I had an accident here and my pc got badly damaged due to heat. Luckily my insurance will cover some of it.

Although my computer is only 2,5 years old, the components are "out of date" except my graphics cards which was only 7 months old. 

Problem #1: CPU: I have a Intel i5 3570k. I am pretty sure it is ok and as far I can see the CPU-cooler looks alright as well. The mb is damaged I guess. Because this mb is "old", there are few options on getting an equal where I can get the CPU to fit. Do I just drop the CPU and get a new one like Intel i5 4690k instead with new mb?

Problem #2: I hope my harddisks (Samsung 840Pro SSD and Seagate Barracuda 2TB) are ok. If so, will they work just like that with new mb and CPU or do I have to do a clean install? Maybe a clean install is best anyway to get a fresh start?

I'm thinking of a new case like this  one. I am tired of the dust getting inside. Opinions? Other suggestions?

Since it will be in my living room, I need a quiet rig. The Noctua has done  great job in that, but I'm curious if a water cooler is even more quieter. Any experience?

Need a new graphics card as well. Had an Asus GTX780. Need something like it or better. Suggestions?

Thanks,

Ricky

20150228_155142_zpsh937l6pk.jpg

Ricky,

When I built a year ago I opted to go for the socket 2011 from intel.  Took the bottom of the line CPU as it was quite equal to the 3770 CPU.  It supports quad channel memory.  Handles a ton of memory and provides more bandwidth to and from the PCI bus.   They have come up with a newer version of the 2011.  I think it is like v3 or something.  They do not interchange at all between mine and v3.

For watercooler.  I have the Corsair H80i.  I like it a lot.  Stays cool.  Never loud.  takes up less space inside the case.  A LOT LESS.  Also makes it easier for you to get to your memory if you need to later one.  Fairly easy to install. 

I have the Antec 1100 case.  It has screens on front and bottom for Power supply.  But the 2 on the sides and 1 on the back do not.  The screens help a lot to reduce dust.  I like it as I had the Antec P180 and P182 before this.  I really need to find some screens that I can glue over or create a jig so I can use the existing holes on the case to hold it on there.  The screens help a lot in dust mitigation.  I like Antec's cases as they are fairly easy to work with.  They put the power supply in the bottom so it draws cool air underneath.  Also their is room in back to run your cables so they block less air movement through it.

I do clean installs about every 18 months.  With the ADHD crew of games.  I uninstall and install too many.  So it just makes the computer quicker in long run.

The choice is yours on what you do.  Just my thoughts on what I have and what I like.

Wish you best of luck in the rebuild. 

I always thought if you changed you mobo you HAD to do a fresh install since the OS is not going to recognize the new MOBO for license purposes.  I agree the video card you have is a good one. 

Thank you guys for your tips. I am very curious on the water cooling system. Temperature when playing ie BF4 or Heaven Benchmark? Tested with Heaven Benchmark and max temp was 68'C under max load. The Noctua was almost completely silence. 

Haven't decided yet on which cpu i want.  Don't think it matter too much. I know I want Intel. AMD can't keep ut with Intel as far as I can see. 

Guess a fresh install is the best anyway. Been a while since last time and I suspect my 15 year-old-son has installed stuff I don't know what is when he is playing Minecraft.. :)

Wonder if i'm going for an upgrade again on the graphics card. Too early for a Christmas present for myself? Maybe the 970 or go all the way for a 980?? Hmmm, can't decide.

Which mobo you guys have? Brands? Been satisfied with my Asus p8z77 - V-pro. Like the fact that it had wifi on it. Compared speeds with wifi or the cable and got almost same speed. Will a more expensive mobo give me more or should I settle for a less expensive one? Is this the part I should use less money on?

Ricky.    for my temps.

With my room temp at  22C most of the time.

My MB sits around 24-26 C  even under load

My CPU will be at 24-28 C at idle.   Under load with a game it gets up to 34-36C max.  Rarely ever see above that.

When I did the first build up of this system.  I unlocked the overclocking and let my ASUS board do the overclocking itself.

My normal CPU is at 3.8 under some load.   The system was able to push up to 5.4 and was stable.  Bench marks were through the roof..   Awesome.

Warmest my CPU got with that overclocking was 44C.  For what I was overclocking at.  I cannot complain.

I do not overclock anymore.  Only during burn in to get the artic silver paste to "melt" in a bit more into any micro crevices.

most of my time my system is pretty quiet.  Only when my screens get dusty is when I hear it speed up a bit.  Clean them, then I am good.  About 1 / year I need to clean the radiator out.

My system is a ASUS P9X79.   CPU is the 3820.  Which was the bottom end of the socket 2011 18 months ago.  With newer BIOS this system just gets better.

Look for the newer chips sets.  They support more SATA 6 GB connections.   And more USB 3.0.   The one I have does not support more than 2 SATA 6  and only a few USB 3.0.

good luck.

My corsair was easy.  In fact it was easier to put the heat sink portion onto the cpu then the huge piece of metal you have on yours.  Then it is just 4 screws to hold it to the rear fan spot.   It is a sealed unit so there is no messing with the liquid.  Just the clips/screws to the CPU.  The 3 pin connector to run the pump and the connectors to run the fans (mine has 2, one to push and one to pull on each side of radiator).

I have no regrets with it and plan on doing it for all future builds without so much of a 2nd thought.  Radiator is smaller than the air cooled heatsinks and it is easier to install.  Costs a bit more, but the piece of mind is worth it.

Plus my temps even under load are so low, compared to yours, that I know my system will last a lot longer due to lack of heat on the components.

I've heard that if you do a fresh install on a new PC with a license you used on a previous computer Microsoft will reject it.   Depending on what type of license u bought.  OEM or retail.  If you run into this problem and have to call Microsoft tell them you had MB failure and had to replace parts.  Don't say it's a brand new build.

Ricky.    Did some quick looks at it.

The cooler you picked looks pretty solid and has really good reviews. 

Case looks pretty good and supports the radiators of the cooler.

I couldn't find that specific MB.  but the series it belongs too looks good.  Plenty of SATA six ports.

Wish I could get that video card...  Budget does not support it...  I am still at a 580 GTX.

Looks like it should have plenty of life ahead of it so you shouldn't need to update for a while.

Thanks, Norseman! I am sick and tired of the dust inside the cabinet. The filters should prevent some of it I hope.

Any other suggestion on MB? Will the 1150 MB have a longer period before it is outdated than the 2011 you have?

Liked the reviews on the cooler, but I have considered the Corsair Hydro series as well as you seem very satisfied with it.

Don't know if you have a Fry's electronic's near you if so shop around online for lowest price with shipping then check with the local Fry's they will beat any price by 10%