Burner

gotBurner's 2015 Gaming PC Build

Last major gaming build was in 2010, I will NOW proceed with a build for 2015. Stay tuned.. I will edit this as I update parts.

My goal with this PC is one that will be more than I need now, and take me into the years to come. Like I said, my last major build was in 2010. From then till now, I upgraded the video card to a GTX 670, added a better heat-sink and fan to the i7-930 CPU and added more memory from 6GB to 12GB. This machine can still GAME, and its going to one of my kids as an upgrade.

My goal is to have a 3 screen PC. I want 3 27 inch monitors mainly for flight and race simulations. I have 3 screens now but they are not the same and not used for 3 screen gaming. I use a 27 inch now with two 17s flipped portrait. You'll read about it as a PLP (Portrait, Landscape, Portait) configuration. 

I don't do this often, but I'm due and my kids can use this PC as one of the pair of computers here they use for their fun and gaming, etc.

Plus, I really think I would be a happier person if I'm surrounded by what I need to get the most out of my computing passions of simulated  flight and racing. LOL :-)

Budgets aren't always capable but since my PCs last me a while, and I have a little income to play with since I sold my other house, I need to do this now before the money I budgeted gets used up by a house or car repair!  :wacko:  :unsure:

I'll be using a neat website called http://pcpartpicker.com/to make these lists you see. Great resource!

Last major gaming build was in 2010, I will not proceed for a build for 2015. Stay tuned.. I will edit this as I update parts.

You are right. But I will NOW edit it :-)

This is a draft (may be final draft after final researching and feedback) of what I am looking at. I am really pushing for a purchase during the upcoming week. I've read a lot the last two weeks, pulled suggestions and feedback from a lot of places and people including friends here.  I will continue to research....

OK, as of 6/20/2015 at 6:00 PM Eastern

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($349.98 @ OutletPC) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($26.98 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($148.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Gaming Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($102.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 850 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($142.89 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($122.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Superclocked ACX 2.0+ Video Card  ($669.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($74.99 @ NCIX US) 
Power Supply: Antec TruePower Classic 750W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  ($99.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $1739.69
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-20 17:53 EDT-0400

I will say, that FDNY has tried to get me to look at this:

ASUS SABERTOOTH Z87 LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131976&cm_sp=Homepage_FDD-_-P1_13-131-976-_-06202015

...and a few flight sim peeps have tried to get me to look at these:

ASUS MAXIMUS VII FORMULA Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132264&cm_re=ASUS_Maximus_VII_Formula_ROG-_-13-132-264-_-Product

...and

ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132125&cm_re=ASUS_MAXIMUS_VII_HERO-_-13-132-125-_-Product

Have not researched them, and they are more expensive. May be more than I need. I think the MB I have selected will more than do for me. But now is the time for me to shake that tree and see how things fall out.

Peripherals?    or just using what you got now?

Wireless mouse

Backlighted keyboard

Wireless headset

Controller

...etc

Also I would include extra USB 3.0 ports to your build...   those PCI card is cheap, but worth putting it in as you never have enough USB ports.

Peripherals?   

Pretty much all new from Christmas 2014, so thats covered.  ;)

Also, after reading up and getting some feedback, I'm staying with the MB listed. No need to go to the Sabertooth and Maximus.

I've been running a Sabertooth Z77 board since they were released... when I update I'm going with the Sabertooth Z97 LE

You going for the look, or anything particular with that board?

Right now I am still pretty satisfied with price and features of the ASUS Z97-A/USB 3.1 LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard and the price difference is about $100.

You going for the look, or anything particular with that board?

Mainly because of the rock solidness of my current Sabertooth, but also partly an aesthetic thing. I currently use this case and will reuse it for my next PC... and I think this board would look mighty nice with a few LED's showing it off.

You know their is a Usb 4.0 coming.

But if you're talking about a pure gaming machine that you don't transfer files to external devices on, it's not a big point of contention.

I have liked having the liquid cooling from corsair.  I have the 80i one.  My CPU never goes above 40.  Only when I initial did a burn in to check stability and let it overclock to like 5.2ghz did it get to 44C.

Case.  Love my Antec's.  I currently have the 1100.  I like the fact it has screens on the front and bottom.  WIsh the sides ones had screens as well to limit the dust more.  but it does a good job.

Also the front USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports plus sound ports (though I haven't used the sound ones...)

I like my ASUS.  I'll never get another MSI, as I have had two fail shortly after getting them (6 months or so).  My ASUS have always been solid, never any issues.

The socket 2011's have great ability to handle more memory  in quad channel.  And a better pipeline between PCI bus and CPU.  Your choice though.

Have fun building it.

This is my case http://azzatek.com/csaz-2000.html. Comes stock with 8 fans. I have 9 with the push pull on the radiator. My liquid cpu cooler dumped liquid all over my motherboard and graphics card. My PCIE closest to the cpu is no more. Had to move the card over one slot to get it to work. All dried out and working fine now though (knock on wood). Using the stock cooler on my cpu now. Sucks. Never below 40c. Need to get a new liquid cooler. This one lasted 4 years though.

You guys all seem to like the fancy schmancy cases... they all seem to busy to me... I'm very minimalistic when it comes to cases... I like my cases sleek and uncluttered.

Out of stock here, but this is my case.  The 4 hot swap external drives is very handy when you are backing up data, or just expanding for whatever reason.  I actually backed up an old computer by just removing the HDD and swapping it in here.  case

Greetings all, here is where my current build stands so far. its a holiday weekend here in the states so I held off on all purchases till i get back home from holiday. I did have a few items below already purchased from sales, researching, and plenty of recommendations to filter through.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (Purchased For $298.00)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.98 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (Purchased For $144.99)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (Purchased For $89.99)

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $110.00)

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $341.00)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+ Video Card (Purchased For $689.99)

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Directron)

Power Supply: Antec TruePower Classic 750W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Total: $1890.93

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-04 11:37 EDT-0400

I'm now toying around with the idea of a CPU water cooler. I've been leaning towards the H100ic but not settled yet, still reading up on that. I've never run a CPU water cooler and it looks like it can be a fun part of my build. I'm satisfied with the memory and speeds for that price too. Hope to get this finalized in the next few days.

I'm thinking I may go with a quality HSF. I really want to use the case on my list. Trying to make it super quiet. It's still up in the air. I can research till the cows come home but I'm ready to BUILD.

i went here http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F2WTLIS  the directions and installtion parts are horrible, it is not as quite as i had hoped for while gaming, Silent mode is quite but then temps start pushing 40c. I run a custom setting about 1400rpm while gaming keep temp at or below 34c