Burner

gotBurner's 2015 Gaming PC Build

While on 4th of July vacation in San Antonio, I ordered the rest of my parts listed below. I went over $400 above my original budget, but I intend on this machine to be a work horse for years to come, as my previous major build was (and still is a viable gamer). The video card was a killer, but the intent for me to go 3 screens drove me in that direction. I opted against water cooling for a quality heatsink/fan. Many of the pieces below were purchased during flash sales so if you click on them you may see a price higher(or lower, who knows) than what I ordered it for. I know I went overboard with the SSD, but these are my first SSD drives. I'll probably add a standard 1/2 TB drive later as I think I may actually use the 1TB as my main system drive. After research, did you know the way SSD drives supposedly work, the bigger they are, the faster they are? I have no comparisons on hand but I have seen it written online. I can always add memory if need be, I chose 1600 mhz because I didnt feel the need to go faster from my research and pay more for minimal gain. Im not a dedicated overclocker, but have and usually do a mild overclock when I'm feeling it is needed. Also, if the 980 ti becomes more reasonable in price down the line, I can always get a second to make a SLI configuration. Now, wait for parts to come in the mail and begin researching monitors that best fit this build

PCPartPicker part list

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+ Video Card

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-05 17:54 EDT-0400

Great parts, Burner! You picked the same CPU, case and PSU as I have. Great case to build in! Hardly any noise from it as well. Just love the opportunity to close the door. The Noctua is quiet and really keeps the CPU temp down. Would love to have that 980TI... :) 

The 3 screens thing has really been a weight on my shoulders. To do it the way I would really need to do it will be more expensive than the return I anticipate it will give me. I have been looking to find something different, that excites me and still gives me a little more immersion so I've been researching for the last week the 21:9 option. Specifically I've been researching this one.. http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?288770-Quick-Review-of-21-9-Dell-Ultrawide-Monitor-with-FSX instead of getting 3 screens. Less clutter, less complication, still a wide, large display.  I went to microcenter today during lunch to get my eyeballs on it. Was rather amazing to be honest.

If your going to get 1, why not get 2....LOL :lol:

How would you play a FPS on that with the screens split in the middle blocking your aim?