Sign in to follow this  
Norseman3971

Routers / Switches

Ok.  New house I am closing on next month.

Every room has a LAN drop.  Each Family/Living Room has 2 or 3 LAN drops.  Garage has 1 or 2 LAN drops.  So I am up to about 16 drops in this house.  It was build in 2006, and looks to have CAT5 at least.

I have a N Router with 4 ports.  So obviously that will not work.

I am guessing that need a 16 port switch. Not sure what I should get.

I am looking for input.  I am not network savy (computer, yes, not network).  So who makes the most dependable switches that require the least amount of tinkering to make them work for me.

How should I connect this up?  I'll assume cable / FIOS modem to my Router and then into the switch.

What am I missing besides brand name and model to buy?

Thanks .

Norse

If you don't want to be bothered with managing these ports I would go with a unmanaged switch. It's nice and simple, just plug and play. I use a Netgear GS116 to connect all my machines at my house with a few ports to spare. If you are going to plug all 16 of these jacks in you will obviously need something larger than what I am using. I would go with either of these options: Netgear JGS524E or the Netgear JGS524. If you want to manage them that is a bit more complicated and a bit more expensive as well. But either of those options should suit you just fine.

edit... forgot the router part.

I use a Linksys E3200 (Cisco) for my router.

Cable Modem ----> Router ----> Switch ----> PC's

This is more than enough for your initial needs... simple plug and go

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704023

I have the managed version  plus some over priced 24 port Netgear and 3Com models... you can expand as your network knowledge grows :)

Don't let the "rack mountable" put you off... this model can easily sit on a desktop or be mounted on a wall or under a desk etc

Keep it simple, for me I use this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122139The NETGEAR 16 Port Gigabit Business-Class Desktop Switch - Lifetime Warranty (GS116) and you can get more than one. Its unmanaged, and doesnt really put my CCNA cert to any test but its a setup, plug in, and forget unit. Which at home these days for me is what I need, click it, and it just works. 

Thanks for the input.   I am guessing the rest of what I was or am planning to do is still good then since all that is recommended is the switch.

Now still need to close on the house........... 37 more days till I do that.

Good luck. I had a closing go bad on my buyer 2 days before the date, and when I got the second contract, I didn't feel comfortable until the paperwork was signed, check in hand, and we drove out of parking lot. So, again, GOOD LUCK!

This is my 4th house buy.  I am familiar with the drill.  And familiar with the things that pop up.  Never fun.  But so thankful when completed and no longer have to worry.