Sign in to follow this  
Skribe

DSL connection

I've cut the cable cord at our new house, but I need to order Internet service. Thinking of going with CenturyLink's DSL 20 mbps connection - good deal at $37 per month (modem rental included...) rather than Comcast. 20 mbps should get me good speeds and decent Wifi for others, right? I think it's faster than what I had before (Comcast). The office just has a phone jack, no ethernet wiring that I can tell, and so I think DSL might be my only option in that room anyway. The previous owners had cable and the desk was set up in a different room. Thoughts or opinions from the peanut gallery? I look forward to rejoining the action soon.

When I moved, my house computer setup was 180 degrees off from what I wanted. I actually threw some wires around the back of walls to drop some Ethernet jacks. Is that an option for you? Because now I have my cable modem come in a closet that then connects to a 16 port unmanaged switch and I have my cables from the house plugged into that.

A little late to the party here, but check those DSL numbers carefully. 20Mb down may be fine for pulling down content, but what's the upload? After reading some reviews of the that particular service I see people complaining of 1-2Mb uploads, and gaming with a poor upload speeds is not good.

As for cabling, yea, if there is a phone jack already in the room you can just run an RJ-11 cord from the jack to wherever you want to place your DSL modem.

On the other hand if you went with the cable option they can just run your cabling to the room you want the Cable modemin. I would assume the room where your PC is located is where you would want it, and then connect a Router to the Cable modem and then your PC to the Router.

Yep it's going to be much slower upload, 1-2.

Their equipment is a combo modem/router that you must rent or buy.

Man, that's just not going to do!