Sign in to follow this  
RangerJim

Looking at a new PC

Hey all.  Sorry for not being active for most of the last year.  New job with lots of travel and 3 very active kids with travel sports.  My Alienware M15 laptop is now 5 years old and I just downloaded Arma 3 and it is only running at 30 fps.  Last time I did a PC build it was with a P5 586 chip.  After that I bought a Gateway and then upgraded to my current laptop.  

So I need recommendations on an off the shelf PC.  I bought the laptop thinking I could bring it on the road but it is pretty well stationary.  I figure a desktop will suffice.  I have a 1.5 TB external so internal disk space is not an issue and I have two screens already that are HDMI.  I also have a Razer gaming mouse so I only really need the tower.

Budget is tight as always.  Would prefer to stay under $700.  Thanks for the input.

Jim,

My 2 cents.

I just built my sons computer on a slightly larger budget but here are my thoughts.

ANTEC GX500 case.    $50    Fairly cheap and was easy to set up. 

ASUS Z170 mobo.        $155  Choose your model.   seems to be a very solid board.

Core I5 6600.   $220               You can save $30 and go with the bottom end one of these.

16GB ram.   $85.     Middle speed on vendors list for MOBO, could shave a little here.

Powersupply.                           I recycled my old one that was a spare.

Video Card     $300                ASUS Strix 970

SSD.               $130                I have a 250 gb Samsung 850.  

That runs about $930, I guess.

My thoughts.   I would invest in a Nvidia 970 card and 16 gb of ram.  Not to mention a solid mobo, if you need to later, you can upgrade the processor.  Also the SSD drive.

Hope to see you around soon.

Trav

Enjoy.   Remember this at Disney.  All "Characters" have  pins on them for trade.  To get one you must give one.  They sometimes have rare pins on them.  Something that is interesting to do if you are into I guess.

2nd. Thing.  Disney is bigger under the main ground than above.  This hides all shops that create everything from floats to sculptures to costumes.  So if you ever get a chance to see it, I would.

Have fun.

Thought I would float this out there...

I am actually going to be upgrading my rig in February, and if you don't mind second hand I could probably piece together something for you and keep you well under that budget limit. I'd rather see the parts go to someone that could use them then have them sit in my various parts bins for eternity.

I'm currently running an Intel i5-3750K, on an Asus Sabertooth Z77 with 16GB of RAM. I also have an EVGA GTX 660Ti that you could use, or I could leave out the video card and you could pick up something different with the extra cash in the budget. You'd also need to buy a copy of whatever flavor Windows you'd prefer to run, as I would probably install the latest version of Ubuntu Linux to verify that the build works properly.

Let me know if you're interested and if you could wait until I upgrade my rig.  

Thanks.  Why would you upgrade that?  I may be able to convince the wife to let me go a little bigger if I do a 6 month payment plan through paypal.  That way I can get a bit more now.

I haven't built a completely new rig in probably 5+ years... I've been doing patchwork upgrades here and there. It's time to do a complete build, plus I worked out a deal with the wife that let's me go crazy with the tax return. :)

Keg send me a pm on that video card I think that's what I have in my system now , I won't be home until Tuesday or wenesday of next week

I am narrowing down the list.  Any experience out there with Digital Storm?  I am looking hard at their Vanquish 4 level 2:

https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=1290228

Specs:
- Intel Core i5 6500 CPU
- NVIDIA GTX 960 4GB
- 8GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory
- 120GB Samsung EVO SSD
- 1TB 7200RPM HDD
- H110 Motherboard
- 600W Power Supply
- DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW
- Microsoft Windows 10

I have never dealt with the company personally, but it's a much better choice then the previous one. It's current generation equipment and it's in a std case so things can be upgraded over time. That other machine would have been a pain to upgrade. The only thing that I would personally take issue with is the mobo... but that can be changed out for a Z series board when you have the extra cash.