Sign in to follow this  
Jadefalcon

Windows 10 Upgrade on Gaming Rig

I don't care if you've done your laptop this is about our favorite, beloved even, gaming rig. So if you've upgraded that machine please post up here about your experience.
Was it easy? Did all of your games and files come through the upgrade intact and where you left them? Thanks

Upgraded to Win 10, very easy process. Have not looked back since. Everything is where it should be.

** Do yourself a favor by checking and changing the default privacy settings after completion **

I upgraded to 10 and it worked great till a later update and my internet stopped working. Reverted back to the previous version and my graphics driver started crashing. Constantly. Went back to 7 and have had absolutely no problems.

Windows 7 64 bit.  I have installed Windows 10 on Torch's computer.  It works.  But it took some work to get it there.

I have 2, 17 year olds. Both have Windows 10.  Both complain about it and asked why I did it.

I have a 79 year old Dad.  He accidentally installed 10.  He hated it so much, he called his ISP and stopped his internet service and said I am done with computers.  I had to bring it home and install 7 to get him back on line so he can be in contact with grandkids.

So.  I will not go to 10.  I'll wait until they screw this beta test they are doing.

Have installed Win 10. No problems at all. Did two things, though, to get satisfied:

1. Windows 10 have a built in peer-to-peer file sharing network to help others download Windows 10 faster. Disable it and case solved. (http://www.techkhoji.com/stop-windows-10-from-using-your-upload-bandwidth/)

2. Uninstall all graphics drivers and reload them after the installation of Windows 10. I used the http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.htmlto do it. Completely wipes away all of it and it is very easy to use.

I am very satisfied with Windows 10. When DirectX 12 comes with new games, I am ready to take advantage of it. http://time.com/3975043/windows-10-microsoft-gamers/

I had windows 8 hated it bad figured I try 10 before I went and bought a copy of windows 7 everything installed fine didn't have any issues  that i can think of so staying with 10 for now and as others said disable the file sharing and changed the privacy setting

NO!!! And when I build my new rig in the next month or so, it will be running Win 7 Pro 64-bit.

I just upgraded my gamer that I built in 2008 from XP to Windows 7.  I think I will stay here for a while.  I heard they are coming out with a new game for people like us.  Called Cave Tech.  :o

Yet another reason I don't want to upgrade to Win10...

Curious about the various telemetry and personal information being collected by Windows 10, one user installed Windows 10 Enterprise and disabled all of the telemetry and reporting options. Then he configured his router to log all the connections that happened anyway. Even after opting out wherever possible, his firewall captured Windows making around 4,000 connection attempts to 93 different IP addresses during an 8 hour period, with most of those IPs controlled by Microsoft. Even the enterprise version of Windows 10 is checking in with Redmond when you tell it not to — and it's doing so frequently.

Sooner or later you have to upgrade to Windows 10. Why not make it sooner? It works perfect.Have absolutely no issues after the upgrade.In addition MS says this will be the last OP-system they make.

Not only for tablet and laptops. My gaming rig works faster and smoother with Win 10 even though I have a powerful machine that worked great with Win 7. I can also take advantage, as you can read in one of the links I posted, of DirectX 12 when games will be using it.

I don't care if you've done your laptop this is about our favorite, beloved even, gaming rig. So if you've upgraded that machine please post up here about your experience.

Was it easy? Did all of your games and files come through the upgrade intact and where you left them? Thanks

My favorite OS to date, I love 10. Have moved everything to it, laptops, gamer PC, workstations. I'm about to move my workstation at work from 8 to 10, and already have the work laptop on Win10 Enterprise. Just no complaints that are of any real substance. Have a kick arse Hyper-V lab running on my gamer PC too and it is smooooooth.

@ Essex  I take it you didn't upgrade?  Or you tried and it didn't go well? 

Works like a dream Joe.... just realised that the thread was aimed at gaming rigs and NOT laptops.