Sign in to follow this  
Skribe

Headset problem

My headset broke so I bought a new one at Best Buy - the Lenovo Y Gaming Surround Sound Headset. When I push to talk my microphone has a high pitched whine, Keg says it sounds like morse code - I heard it when testing in Teamspeak too. Checked properties in Windows, drivers appear to be up to date and everything's working OK. I've tried a couple of different USB ports. My previous headset was on the 3.5mm jacks so...maybe I need to go back to those? I can't figure this out. Any suggestions?

First problem... you bought a gaming headset made by a company that has virtually no footprint in the gaming market.

Second problem... you bought USB headphones.

Wish I had a different solution for you, but I have stayed well away from USB headsets.

I would seriously think about returning them and getting something with 3.5mm jacks. If you want to stay on the more inexpensive side I would suggest the Sennheiser PC151 $51.00 at Newegg. If you're not overly worried about cost, I would suggest the Sennheiser PC320 $96.00 at Newegg. And if cost isn't an issue I would suggest the Sennheiser Game One $149.00 at Newegg. I have used Sennheiser headsets for 15+ years. I strayed away for a year or so a while back to try out the Corsairs headsets, but I'm tellin' ya Sennheisers are the best I've used. I currently use the Game One's I listed above, but paid quite a bit more then that when I originally bought them.

You have of course checked/updated your drivers for your motherboard (SATA, USB etc.) and updated your BIOS driver? Tried another USB headset? Might be something wrong with the one you bought. Otherwise, I'll suggest you do what Keg say, stay away from USB headsets. I have one myself, but it works perfectly. No issues at all.

I have been using USB wireless headset for the past 3 years and had no sound quality issue at all. Personally I don't think 3.5mm jacks or USB is the issue here...  probably you got a defective/sub-par product. My suggestion is to return it for something better.

I have been using Corsair H2100 $70 at Amazon for the past year, and H2000 for a couple of years before that. It is USB driven, sound quality is great, battery life (8 hrs) and range (10-20 feet) are great. Once you tried wireless, believe me, you wouldn't want to go back to wired again.

Double check and be sure the right microphone is selected in the audio set up.  Try a different USB port on your computer to see if that is it.

At one point on one of my PC builds the screws to my motherboard had come lose and I had intermittent ground to the usb side of my motherboard.  Needless to say it caused issues.  When I went to replace the motherboard (because at the time I thought it was AFU), I found the loose screws.  Tightened them up.  Fixed my issue.

So do a little trouble shooting on it first.  Try different ports.  Inspect the motherboard.  Try it on a different PC?  if it is the same.  Take it back and start over.

Thanks for the tips. I'll try them out. If nothing else I kept the receipt and will head back to the store. Really liked my Plantronics set that broke so probably would go back to that.