Sign in to follow this  
Jadefalcon

Rebuilding...I think

Ok so I've caught the bug from Keg! 

Here's what I have selected so far.

https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.aspx?ID=29319965

Keg's budget is ..um bigger than mine NO JOKES!

Here's some questions.

I never over clock so am I over spending on the CPU since it is the K version.

Do I really have to do liquid cooling??

The GPU shown is almost half of what I have saved up.  Alternatives??

Some components will transfer over from my old pc like the SSD and other mechanical HD

I'll probably install windows 10 also. 

I don't normally run SLI so we don't have to worry about that.

The power supply shown is 150 watts more than the calculator on Newegg estimated it should be but I like the head room.

All thoughts are appreciated. 

If you must upgrade your GFX card, then go ahead. However if you can wait, I would highly advise you to wait til Q2 this year as the new 14nm architechure (from 28nm), which would improve power consumption and performance significantly, much more than previous few generations. It will be worth the wait.

@ Keg, Opps forgot the memory

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233852

I'm currently using Corsair Vengeance, 16 gb DDR3 240 pin so I don't think I can reuse it.

Cooling I've never done a liquid cooled machine. If I'm not over clocking wouldn't a standard air cooled option work? I've always used the stock fan that comes with the CPU.

@ Unreal. Yeah I have a GTX 670 that I'm running right now and I could wait for the new ones to come out. I feel I need to make the upgrads since The Division and BLOPS III are advising me to change my windows color scheme to something less so it will run faster. I'm maxed out on my budget for a new card right now so do you think the new generation will be A LOT more money?

Thanks Guys. Joe

Ok question on mobo.  I just checked Tom's Hardware and under their best mobo dated Feb 2016 there are NO ASUS mobo listed...why?  I'm a big ASUS fan but Is something going on with ASUS quality?  Just got me curious.

@ Unreal. I'm maxed out on my budget for a new card right now so do you think the new generation will be A LOT more money?

Thanks Guys. Joe

New cards will certainly cost a bit more money, but since they are there to replace the current gen, so do expect price vs. performance matching ratio to some degree except the top range cards. However what it will definitely do is to push all the current cards prices down to clear out inventory. Since the next gen will be based on new tech/architecture, the likelihood is that it will be in short supply for the initial 3-6 months period....

Another thing worth considering is what monitor / resolution are you playing on? Most current gen cards will serve 1080p perfectly well...  the 980Ti will in fact be an overkill. If you are playing on 4K resolution, then even 980Ti may not be enough for some games at their highest settings.

So the conclusion is:   If you can live with what you got and can wait for up to 12 months, then you should wait. If you are so behind that the 12 months wait is not an option for you, then buy the best you can now - then wait a year to buy a kick arse ultra widescreen monitor to go with it.

My GTX 970 has no problem keeping up with the latest games. At half the price, you might want to consider it. I'm not playing in 4K though. 

I have been using a Corsair H80 for past two years.  I NEVER hear my fan's at all.   My CPU never really goes much over 30C.  I only need to clean the radiator every 6-9 months only because I am a bit OCD. 

My GTX970 does make a little sound but it is a ASUS STRIX version so it is quiet as well.

I have no complaints on the liquid cooling.  easy to put in.  Never leaked.  CPU is always cool.   I know my system will last longer since it never gets very warm.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks Norse I did go with the liquid cooling hoping to teach this old dog some new tricks with this build.  Question did your cooler come with preapplied heat transfer "paste" I've never used that before. 

When I initially installed my water cooler I used the pre-applied thermal paste and had no problem with it. I have since put my water cooler into a new machine and had to clean and re-apply new thermal paste. I have not seen any difference in temps between using the pre-applied thermal paste and the stuff that I put on when I moved the cooler to it's new home.

I would say it's fine to use it, no need to make a mess unless you absolutely need to.

I always  use artic silver.  I use acetone to clean it REALLY good to remove residue.  I then use small amounts of artic silver and work it into the surface to ensure it gets into the very fine machining marks that some heat sinks have.

Then use a credit card to smooth the surface to leave the thinnest film of artic silver on it possible.

Good luck.  You'll be happy.

Thanks Guys and here's my parts:

20160312_110746.jpg

That's the K version of the i7, Windows 10 OEM copy. I'm super stoked about building this one! I would like you all to stand by as Emergency Contacts in case I need them...I'm just say'n.