Ricky

My trip to Auschwitc/Birkenau

As I mentioned in the shout box, I went on a trip to those two concentration camps. I took many pictures and would like to share them with you if you're interested. I am more than happy to comment on them if you have any questions. Several of them are not of best quality. The reason for that is that there are a couple of no-photograph zones. I took some pictures even though.. Bare with me.

When walking around, you could almost scense the fear, the hunger, the violence in the air. One of the walls had lots and lots of pictures on it and that is how they catalogized the prisoners in the beginning. After a while, they realised that it was too expensive and also the prisoners changed their appearance so quickly due to among weight loss, that they couldn't be recognised and they started to give each prisoner a number tatooed on their arm instead. Those camps where the only camps to do so, our guide said. If you look closely on that picture, you can see the date of arrival and also the date they died. Many only lasted a month or two. 75% of the Jews, were taken directly to the gas chambers and killed instantly. I went inside one of these chambers, and it had a capability of 2000 people... It took approx. 20 minutes before they were dead. We could see the scratching on the walls after their finger nails. In the neighbour room where the crematorium. Several ovens where fed 24/7 with bodies. If they weren't able to keep up with the dead, they were brought outside and burned in pits. The ash where thrown in holes in the ground and collected my trucks when full and dumped in the river not far away.

Well, this is just a tiny bit of info. See link for pictures. Some of the pictures are from the arrival of the Canadian prime minister who was there at the same time as us. https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2016/07/10/trudeau-tours-auschwitz-concentration-camp-with-canadian-survivor.html

https://goo.gl/photos/Efo5r7ZPFjmGtfWc8

Ricky

Thanks so much for sharing I can see where that must have been an emotional day. History has shown over and over that when one group looks down on another the outcomes are often horrible. 

Sad part of history unfortunately, But we thank you for sharing especially for those that cannot get to that part of the world anytime soon !!!

Stay safe Ricky !!!

My pleasure, guys! With so much hate on earth we can not afford this again. Today, 22 July, it was 5 years since the massacre in Norway. Since that, the USA, France, Turkey, and also in Munich, Germany (hope I haven't forgotten any) has had too much suffering. Let's spend 10 minutes extra today with the people you love and tell them that you love them. Make a phone call, pay a visit. Tomorrow it may be too late. Do it! You won't regret.